Saturday, March 16, 2013

My Studio: Narnia

 
A few months ago, I decided that I really needed to have an official studio. I ALWAYS seemed to have fabric, paint projects, and whatever messes I could possibly make, lying all over in my front rooms and that really bothered me. REALLY bothered me. I moved the younger 2 boys in with the older 2 boys (which has been our plan for years, I was just worried I would have to give up my little snuggle buddy, if I did this.....nope, Sunshine still comes and gets in bed with us most early mornings). I then painted my new studio and began planning. I had always wanted to paint the sewing desk (I bought from Deseret Industries for $15...score!). I decided to use my own unique paint technique and I was pleased with the outcome. I finally pulled out years of my children's art (I have been saving my very, very favorites for over 18 years now). There were so many, but I managed to narrow down the ones I found and even left room for more, when I am able to dig through more boxes and when my little budding artists create more wall-worthy art (Shhh...they think all of their doodles are wall-worthy).
 
The stained glass hanging in the window was my own design and hand-crafted by my mama. She went through a phase where she was taking stained glass and fly fishing classes one year, it was the happiest I had ever seen her. I was so thrilled when she asked me if she could make me something. It looks absolutely stunning when the light shines in through the window. I found the antique vase sitting on the desk, on my birthday this year, and decided that I needed flowers within reach all year long. I think that will be the only way I can keep myself inside during the warmer weather, that and the view of the mountains from my window. Can't wait to have fresh-cut flowers in there during the growing season! The cute little make up case, sitting up against the desk was given to me by Aaron's grandma, who is my mentor as well as my dear friend. It belonged to her mother. She knew how much I love luggage (I still haven't figured out which pieces to add to my studio, but there will definitely be more in there, by the time I am through). I think it is important, not only to have materials, tools, and resources within reach, but to have items that make your heart smile. After all, we all need inspiration for creating beautiful things. We also need to remember that we are loved, when we are trying new things or getting frustrated with a broken sewing needle or having to undo an entire length of yarn because of miscounting. Having these few items, makes me feel loved.
 
Notice the sign I created above the window. Just in case you were wondering: I came up with the idea for the sign, I spent hours making the sign, I sell signs like this through my business, and I LOVE what I create....so much so, that I will ask people not to copy what I make. If you LOVE my art, you can have it! You just need to pay me for it, not take pictures of my artwork and figure out a way to make it "cheaper" than what I am asking for it. It is my concept, my time, and my heart you are stealing, if you choose otherwise. The brushed-nickel lamp stays on the desk all of the time, but the different machines I use for my business, take turns there. I love that the top of the desk folds out (more room) and have even been contemplating having the sewing machine, which is eternally resting inside, resurrected. It is a Necchi, like the machine I use.
 
 
 
 
And here is the machine station. I have a cameo silhouette machine, a laminator, a serger, sewing machine, and a slew of yarn and fabric scraps. I have plans to make new (brighter, happier) covers for my serger and sewing machine and to embellish the cameo cover. I will share it on here, when I get to it. In the upper section of the room, I plan to display this year's Wubblies, along with photos of the Wubblies we have Wubbed and met along the way. I have pics of Elaina, but won't finish the collage until her bed is finished. My plan is to make some cute little pony heads to slip over the tops of the pegs, so it looks like the Wubblies are on little ponies...I know, I have too many creative thoughts flowing through this crazy mind of mine. ;)
 

 
I learned a long time ago, that if I can keep my life organized and well-planned out, and have a list to keep track of my goals, it frees up all of my creativity. I know it sounds silly, but it is how I function. And it really does work. Now that my studio is organized, my mind is going wild, with all sorts of ideas of what I want to create. Notice, that I didn't keep my patterned fabrics folded, I rolled them all up. It has been working quite nicely, as I just pull out a roll and then put it back in, when I am done. I have my Wubbly skin fabric on the top of the middle section, then Wubbly hair, and then the supplies I am using for the Wubblies I am making right now. I have my paints, my thread, ribbon, paper, and a few patterns, that I have yet to look at and learn how to read...hey, it is a goal of mine for this year! In the top of the closet, I keep my duffel bag of the PVC-sign-stand I created a year ago (also my very own design...be proud) and the sign I sewed for when we eventually go out on the road and sell our wares at different festivals around the USA. I also keep my 6' table in the closet, along with the huge basket that has all of my future projects (and a few neglected items I still need to repair). I love that I can see exactly what I need....and that I can shut the doors and give my eyes a rest.
 
 
 


I also keep any items I have up for sale online or am getting ready to give away, in there.

 
This is my throne.....well, that's what I like to believe it is. In reality, I spend many hours sitting here with different children, listening to them read or working on math, flashcards, etc. with my own Wubblies, while I crochet, cut, or stitch. I plan to one day (perhaps this year) learn how to reupholster furniture and then I will cover this little overstuffed chair with a crazy quilt of all of my MOST favorite fabrics. For now, it is just covered. The Gypsy Mat on the floor is only about 18" wide, so far. I began taking every fabric that I was having the boys rip and roll into balls and adding a short strip to this one. I need to add to it (obviously). I plan on making it about 6 feet across while we live here and eventually even wider, for our next home, in the Great Room....but that is a few years away. The leafy floor-lamp is going to get a fresh paint job, once I find some time. And hidden behind my throne, you will find a basket of towels and yarn...just waiting for my fingers to give them some wub and make them into Gypsy Towels. 
 
 


I rolled all of my solid cottons and put them in this retro television cabinet that I picked up from Deseret Industries for $15....I obviously like buying from there, huh? I keep my Wubbly dolls I am working on, inside the bottom, along with the patterns (I created myself....only because I couldn't read another person's pattern, to save my life). Next to the cabinet, you will notice my creative basket. I have just about everything an artist would need on a regular basis in there. And I can't forget my little basin of specialty yarns. Some of these yarns cost over $10, but they are only used sparingly on my Gypsy Rolls. I keep them close by, for inspiration.
 
 
 
This picture greets me, as I enter my studio and was created one day during sacrament meeting. When I asked River what he wanted to call it, he scrunched up his brow and a look of wisdom and deep thought came over his face, as he placed his hand on his chin (if you know River, you know exactly which look I am referring to). After a few moments, he stated, "The Beauty". I know it probably looks like a simple drawing to most people who see it, but it means so much more to me. It represents all that I live for and all that I work towards, in my endeavors. The Beauty is within all of us, and all around us....if we open our hearts and our eyes, we can all have beauty within our reach.
 
Namaste.
Danni 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Namaste Indeed. I love you. your an absolute inspiration. Thanks for sharing part of your soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dee. Love you, too. Always willing to share. :)

      Delete