Saturday, March 30, 2013

Big Dreams



When I set out to make changes to Gypsy Essentials this year, I had BIG dreams. I dreamt of changing the world, through helping a family in my own community each month, through either raising donations or giving them resourceful information and working towards making life a little easier and brighter for them. I also wanted to begin donating and seeking donations for several different types of organizations that support some of the causes I feel most passionate about. I sat down and discussed it with the board of Gypsy Essentials (which, let me remind you, is my 5 younger kids....and, on occasion, Aaron). They all thought it sounded fabulous!

Fast Forward to March 30th....January was spent trying to figure out how to launch a new product I felt like we needed to add to Gypsy Essentials, the Wubblies. February was spent looking for a Wubbly to spotlight (Elaina) for Congenital Heart Defect Awareness Month, then spending a couple of weeks seeking donations and someone who would be willing to donate most (ended up being ALL) of their services and labor towards making a special bed for Elaina. March came and I struggled in finding a Wubbly with an extra trisomy. When I finally did find a sweet candidate, it fell through almost as soon as it began.....sigh. Somehow, helping others out has been more frustrating than I think it needs to be. With all of the other unexpected drama I had to deal with, in relation to our business, it was a little overwhelming. Because of this, I finally sat down with Aaron one night and asked him what he thought about me trying to help others out along the way.

I completely expected him to tell me that he felt it would be best if I forgot about my dream of helping others....just for right now, until we actually began making a profit off of our business. I was totally prepared for this type of response. I had my reaction all planned and had been trying to figure out a way to announce it to the public. But Aaron surprised me, when he said, "I don't think you will be as happy if you aren't doing that part of your work. You REALLY seem to enjoy it and I think you can make it work." I was so happy to hear that! I asked him to share his thoughts on how I could manage it. He suggested that I not focus so much on National Awareness Months or limiting myself to helping out Wubblies for only a month. After all, we really lucked out with Elaina's bed and had a donor who was able and willing to donate a huge sum of money AND found a bed maker willing to donate his services, all in less than 2 weeks. Most of the time, this won't be happening. He also pointed out that, there may be a time when we are asked to help someone out that has no relation to whatever National Awareness Month it is at that moment, and that would suck to have to tell them that we couldn't help them out.....as they weren't a part of whatever group we were raising awareness for during that month. It felt like such a relief to hear that he recognized and supported my love of service AND that he had even thought of a way to make it less stressful for me (Now, you can see the part that Aaron plays in our family business. With him working 2 jobs and helping out A LOT with domestic duties, I could never expect him to do more than be my sensible business partner/best friend. And that he is. Over the past month, with the whole issue of dealing with a dishonest and clearly-disturbed individual that I finally got out of business with, and also with trying to figure out how to adjust my business to fit our family's needs and still function, I have to say that Aaron is the one who has held me together and kept me from jumping ship. He never ceases to amaze me.).

As of the beginning of April (which is World Autism Awareness Month....just in case you were wondering), we will be asking all of our followers on Facebook and our site here, to send us suggestions of local Wubblies for us to spotlight. We know that we live in an awesome nation that really does look after it's citizens better than some countries around the world can or will, but we also know that sometimes it is impossible to get the help that those with special needs are desperately seeking. So, keep your eyes and ears open and send them our way. We are still looking! Our goal, for those who haven't already heard, is to involve the community in brightening the lives of those who are struggling within our own community.....simple as that! We want it to be a group effort in showing these Wubblies that they are special, they are loved, and that we truly care about their quality of life, during the trials they face.

We will still be donating proceeds from our Wubbly sales towards these local Wubblies, but we can have our donations last a week or several months, depending upon what the needs are.

Speaking of Wubblies..... "How is Princess Elaina's bed coming along?" you ask.

 
Here is Elaina dancing at our house, yesterday. Hollie and Jordan (Creative Construction Design) sat down and discussed the plans for Elaina's bed, while Elaina explored our parlor and Ben (Elaina's big brother, who is also an Aspie like all of us) and our older boys hung out. They were best friends, after a few hours of hanging out.
 
 
 
 
We had gotten some baby hens earlier in the day and I had gotten a couple extra (unclaimed by our kids). I had thought about letting Ben adopt one of the Ameraucanas we had named "Rainbow", but hadn't mentioned it to anyone.....I thought, he won't be interested, silly! (sometimes I think far too deeply about things...it must be an Aspie thing). Once we began our meeting, I sent Ben into our room with the boys, to see our new pets and he emerged a few moments later, Rainbow in his hands. He started to ask me if anyone had claimed this chick yet. What a trip! I told him that I had already decided to let him adopt Rainbow, but I really wanted to know how he knew which one I was going to give to him. He and the boys told me that Rainbow ran to him, when he put his hands down in the box. Rainbow obviously knew about my plans and Ben's need to have a pet chick. And Ben LOVES rainbows, so it was the perfect name, he told me.
Mel. Ted. My. Heart.
 
 
Elaina got to touch Rainbow and it was awesome to see her reaction to having a chick around. The more I get to know this little angel, the more I realize that God truly does have a plan for all of us here on this Earth, no matter how difficult it may be for others to understand that purpose.
 
 
 

Look into these precious eyes, Elaina is definitely a soul searcher.


 
And quite the explorer! Hollie was shocked to see that she had made it up the step and was into the next room! I had to catch a shot of her first time making it past the first step....congratulations, Princess Elaina!
 
 
 
(I hate to say it, but this is a horrible photo of Jordan and Hollie, they are both so much lovelier in person...I just really suck at taking photos and this was the only shot I got of them, as they were discussing plans to create the bed for Princess Elaina, so please recognize it for what it is, a lousy shot.) Jordan told us about his business and his wife and daughter. We are thrilled to meet them both at some point. Hollie shared all of her dream specifications for a bed for Elaina. As she spoke, I think both Jordan and I (neither of us having kids with special needs similar to Elaina's) were overwhelmed with adoration for all that Hollie does to wub on her princess. I know that one of the main reasons I have decided to continue on with this part of our business, is due to the fact that I recognize it must be exhausting, no matter how much you love your child, to have the responsibilities never end and that child never grow beyond a certain level of understanding. Those of us who are not enduring these sort of circumstances need to have a way to share in lightening the burdens and allowing comfort where it is needed, so that the lives of our sisters and brothers can be a little more enjoyable. While Elaina is, indeed, learning and growing (trust me, this little lady is so curious, there is no way she couldn't be), there will always be a great deal of attention required for her needs. And Hollie is an amazing mom, it is such an honor to know her, to see how she is with her Wubblies and to hear her story.  



God knew exactly where this precious little miracle was supposed to end up....in some of the most caring hands available here on Earth. After Jordan gathered all of the info he needed and visited with us for a bit, he left. Then Hollie and the kids and I continued to visit....for a few hours. Love this family! So happy to have them in our lives.

Namaste~
Danni

No comments:

Post a Comment